Tuesday 4 June 2013

WAAAAAAGH!!! Warboss Gorblud takes over the blog!

A treat for you today on my blog. When I first started this blog well over a year ago my army got posted on Col Gravis' blog and well now its time to pay it forward. A good friend of mine has a been working on a fantastic ork army and while he's hasn't got himself a blog yet he very kindly agreed to do a guest post on here!

If you all seem to like it I'm sure his arm can be twisted for a few more posts of his brilliant orks!

Enjoy!

Hi All

Col. Winterborne has kindly allowed me to hijack his blog this post as I have so far been too lazy to set up my own. I have collected W40K for about 10 years and began collecting a Chaos army, then a Tau one, and finally moved on to the army I’m painting at the moment – Orks!

I started collecting Orks because I love converting miniatures, and Orks seem to offer more opportunities for this than any other race. I then – purely on the basis of one cool looking Meganob in the Ork Codex – decided to go for a Bad Moons army. This is a decision I have often cursed every time I start painting the yellow armour (my current technique requires 6 different coats of paint), but every time I see a finished mini I normally decide it was worth it.

So, on to the pics. No Bad Moon army would be complete without a decent unit of Meganoz, so I thought they would be a worthy choice for the first post.

 photo DSCF6392_zps8ec8b87f.jpg


The 8 Meganobz are sometimes fielded as 2 units of 4, but I have often found that one unit of 6 or more becomes so hard for the opposition to take out, that they often survive the entire game, destroying far more points worth of enemy than their original cost. For this reason I often take them as the one unit of Nobs that your Warboss allows you to take as a Troops choice as they can occasionally steal objectives away from your opponent.

 photo DSCF6393_zpsd7b9b410.jpg photo DSCF6396_zpsf25eefc5.jpg

 photo DSCF6394_zps3e1d2380.jpg

The squad contains 2 members with Kombi-Skorchas (a very effective upgrade) and the rest with Twin-Linked Shootas – I find that taking rockets to be a waste of points as Orks rarely hit with them, and so I converted the couple of models I had with these back to Twin Linked Shootas (Orks love re-rolls).

 photo DSCF6401_zps7d3ca8d6.jpg

 photo DSCF6402_zps17803277.jpg

The Meganobz only have 2 real weaknesses: 1) They can’t have an invulnerable save (unless you take Grotsnik) and so can be particularly vulnerable to high AP shooting weapons – especially those strong enough to cause instant death. 2) They have poor Leadership (7) and rarely form a unit big enough to benefit from the Mob rule.

 photo DSCF6400_zpscabc3aa3.jpg

 photo DSCF6398_zpscdd99882.jpg

The second weakness is easily overcome with the attachment of a Warboss to the unit, and so here is mine:

 photo DSCF6373_zpsb5a318c3.jpg

 photo DSCF6387_zpsa03bffcb.jpg

 photo DSCF6388_zps3fb0d319.jpg

 photo DSCF6377_zps388e770d.jpg

The mini is converted from the Ghazghkull model (one of my favourite GW creations) with a few simple mods and a bit of reposing. I made the decision to base all of the orks on dark bases, as if they are marching through the ruins of a hive city. This, along with the dark shades of green I like to use for the ork skin, are intended to contrast nicely with the bright yellow armour. To make the Warboss stand out even more than some of the other models I used some Cityfight terrain and a Guard Tank Commander to decorate the base, along with an Attack Squig made mostly from Greenstuff.

 photo DSCF6381_zps4c8d9579.jpg

 photo DSCF6404_zpsb1c4c3b7.jpg

Well, that’s it for this post. Please let me know if you have any feedback or questions on the minis or the painting – Col. Winterborne might even let me do another post if the feedback is good.

3 comments:

  1. That is a brilliant looking unit - definitely looking forward to seeing more! I have always been partial to Bad Moons, and you've done a cracking job on the armor. Love the attack squig as well!

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice and good to see some well painted guest minis on a worthy blog.

    Looking forward to seeing more, perhaps on your own blog, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant!

    I love the 'flame' effect on the jaw-armour-things in particular...and of course the officer underfoot is genius.

    Ahh...I do so have a soft spot for orks.

    ReplyDelete